What amateur radio items do you want for Christmas?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio General Discussion' started by wedgar, Dec 10, 2014.

1. wedgar

wedgar Administrator Staff Member Gold Member

Ok folks, Christmas is right around the corner and ol' Santa is making his list.

What is it you're hoping to get from Santa this year?

2. W.T. Jones

W.T. Jones You can't make me come in Staff Member Silver Member Golden GPS Recipient

Toroids! I need a bunch of them for my antenna projects. Palomar Engineers is going to get a big order in the upcoming week. I have to be my own Santa. Asking the Lady of the Jones Manor to order mix 31 or mix 43 toroids would be like asking me to get the right kind of flour for making Christmas Cookies.

wedgar likes this.
  3. wedgar

I'm looking at an HF rig and antenna for the RV, probably not something I want someone else shopping for me. But if I selected it and Santa put it under the tree, I'd be happy. :D

W.T. Jones likes this.
  4. W.T. Jones

W.T. Jones You can't make me come in Staff Member Silver Member Golden GPS Recipient

I hope Santa is good to you! I expect to hear you on HF during your travels.

Will you be staying with friends or hitting the RV campgrounds. Remember that EndFedz Antennas work really well.

wedgar likes this.
  5. wedgar

Hitting some RV campgrounds.

I'll be in Georgia for several months at a campground about 5 miles from my son's family. I'll pop down to Orlando for their big hamfest in February for a week or so.

Have to check out the EndFedz - thanks for the suggestion.

6. David Kleber - KB3FXI

David Kleber - KB3FXI Moderator Staff Member

ICOM IC-9100. But Santa can't afford that for me this year.

What I'd like to see developed and then get (even without the help from Santa)...

A 10m, 6m, 2m, 70cm, all band/all mode transceiver (CW/RTTY/USB/FM). Call it the "technician class deluxe" transceiver and give it 2 user configurable, software defined antenna connections (i.e. Ant 1 for 10m and Ant 2 for 6 and 70cm, or Ant 1 for 6m and Ant 2 for 2m/70cm, or Ant 1 for 10m/6m/2m SSB and Ant 2 for 10m/6m/2m/70cm FM). Then make sure a 6 pin data jack for a USB Signalink, for example, is incorporated, through in some decent bandpass filtering, and price it at around US $500.

I actually contacted, and got a reply from Elecraft on this idea a year or two ago. The response I got was that they liked the idea and would consider it, but no luck so far :^(

-Dave, KB3FXI
    Merry Christmas!

W.T. Jones and wedgar like this.
  7. wedgar

Dave, that sounds like a cool radio. Wonder if Elecraft heard from more interested people it might be more willing to look closer at putting it into design and manufacturing it?

8. David Kleber - KB3FXI

David Kleber - KB3FXI Moderator Staff Member

I certainly wouldn't discourage anyone from dropping Elecraft a line!
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd be one of the first in line, and I'm an Extra!

W.T. Jones and wedgar like this.
  9. wedgar

Will if you are good, Santa might bring one to you. (y)

W.T. Jones likes this.
  10. W.T. Jones

I have to say that the Yaesu FT-991 looks very interesting to me. The price tag is a bit inflated but it does everything. I may have to take a road trip to HRO in Delaware and put my little fingers on it. Well, not so little fingers. I don't know. Just when I thought I was satisfied with everything in my shack.

I wonder if it is too late for a letter to Santa.

wedgar likes this.
  11. wedgar

The road trip to HRO in Delaware may cost more in gas than the savings in sales tax. :p

The best part though is seeing, touching and immediately getting your new toy!

W.T. Jones likes this.
  12. W.T. Jones

Na, I take W3LR and K3SAE with me and they pay for the gas. And on the way home they pay for lunch too.

And more than likely they'll end up spending more than I do at HRO.

It is a great time talking Ham Radio and other fun topics too. You can't put a price on that.

wedgar likes this.
  13. wedgar

Can't beat that for a free lunch and free gas.

Say, gas down here is around $2.15 per gallon.

W.T. Jones likes this.
  14. W.T. Jones

Not quite that good around here. $.51 at Turkey Hill and slightly higher at other stations.

wedgar likes this.
  15. wedgar

Yep, $2.69 back home.

16. wedgar

Yep, $2.69 back home.

W.T. Jones likes this.
  17. W.T. Jones

Did you notice as you went south that the price of gas went down? Just curious.

18. W.T. Jones

What I got for Christmas! Nothing Ham Radio Oriented but...

I did find out on Christmas Eve that I am going to be a Great Uncle for the first time in my life! Now that was a Christmas Present!

David Kleber - KB3FXI and wedgar like this.
  19. wedgar

Yes. The further south we went, the cheaper the price of a gallon of gas we saw. Lowest price we saw was $2.10 per gallon and that was in South Carolina.

W.T. Jones likes this.
  20. wedgar

That is outstanding! Congratulations OM.

W.T. Jones likes this.