They're Here! Preppers find HF Pack

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio General Discussion' started by W.T. Jones, May 8, 2014.

1. W.T. Jones

W.T. Jones Moderator Staff Member Silver Member Golden GPS Recipient

I was watching one of my favorite Yahoo Groups. It is the one that I like about backpacking and making HF contacts out in the wilderness. There was one lone post in the middle of all the talk about the HF Pack Meeting in Dayton. No replies, no comments, it seemed that everyone was just holding it at arms length.

outpostalpha.jpg
    I think the FRS and GMRS put the taboo on this one. Should be interesting to see if any of this hardcore group notices it or even comments on it.

2. wedgar

wedgar Administrator Staff Member Gold Member

Squad type of communications? That sounds a bit concerning...

3. W.T. Jones

Yes it did.

There was a well known CQ Magazine Columnist that used to live in this area but has since gone South. Not as in malfunction but as in moved South.

Always enjoyed conversations with him regarding Ham Radio as he was quite knowledgeable especially in the QRP area.

Since he has gone South he has taken to the "Prepper" life style.

His last email to me was for Field Manuals on "Small Unit Tactics" to which I replied that he was too small a unit to engage in anything but run and hide.

Haven't heard from him since. Guess he didn't like a common sense comment to his somewhat aberrational request.

Should have told him to join the Army.

4. wedgar

Are these guys thinking of taking on the US government?

W.T. Jones likes this.
  5. W.T. Jones

Good question. You can't tell with their mentality. They lay somewhere between the "I don't want to be bothered by anyone" and the Right Wing Militia. Both of them are scary to me.

The unfortunate part is that they show up at the matches I love to much and make a mockery of them with their commando attitudes. That tain't what its all about.

k4gkj likes this.
  6. wedgar

Apathy can be a real killer. We see that in our elections, it's the attitude someone else can do it for me. I agree with you that the right wing militia is scary.

We had a right wing group move into Potter County thinking the conservative demographics would be conducive to their beliefs. They got run out very quickly.

W.T. Jones likes this.
  7. W.T. Jones

Good - keep 'em out. Their philosophies are too close that vermin that ruined Europe in the 30' and 40's. Political beliefs are fine and I don't mind someone having thoughts and ideas that are different from mine. In fact, that is a good thing. Intelligent discussion and conversation from both sides educates and enlightens. Having someone else's thoughts and ideas rammed down my throat by a thug just doesn't do it for me.

wedgar likes this.
  8. wedgar

Yep, not many people take lightly to having other people's thoughts and ideas rammed down their throats.

Didn't work many years ago in the US. Hope that is still the same way. Not certain with the apathy however.

W.T. Jones likes this.
  9. k4gkj

k4gkj Member

They worry me too......seems like they are growing faster than any cult in history..... that is alot of kool aid!

wedgar and W.T. Jones like this.
  10. wedgar

What is that famous Chinese curse ... May you live in interesting times?