The EPA ARES Motto

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Emergency Communications' started by W.T. Jones, Mar 18, 2015.

1. W.T. Jones

W.T. Jones Moderator Staff Member Silver Member Golden GPS Recipient AtlDiv EPA Leader AtlDiv ARES Member

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training."
    Archilochus - Greek Poet and Soldier

wedgar likes this.
  2. wedgar

wedgar Administrator Staff Member Gold Member

Good one!

3. W.T. Jones

W.T. Jones Moderator Staff Member Silver Member Golden GPS Recipient AtlDiv EPA Leader AtlDiv ARES Member

In reality it applies to a whole lot more than just the ARES.

4. wedgar

That makes sense.

Training is very important. If it was not, we wouldn't see the Navy Seal program as intensive as it is. It works very well for them.

Sports teams wouldn't be as training intensive if training didn't work.

Just because we are volunteers doesn't diminish the need for training to keep our skills honed and ready for use.

W.T. Jones likes this.
  5. W.T. Jones

Remember that old motto:
    If you aren't shooting you should be communicating. If you aren't communicating you be training. Resting? You can rest when you are dead.

I had some very tough mentors in my life. Hi Hi.

wedgar likes this.
  6. wedgar

Hah! With some of your adventures, it was probably a good thing you had tough mentors.

I'm surprised the military hasn't found a way for the dead to forgo rest and keep on doing something useful. :rolleyes:

W.T. Jones likes this.
  7. W.T. Jones

Don't give them any ideas. I am sure there is a bean counting logistics officer somewhere that would like to figure out how to use Zombies as replacements. However, there is the new philosophy, which I agree with, that a wounded GI isn't useless and should be retained to do something for the service. That philosophy does more for the psyche than just a handshake, an honourable medical discharge, and here is your disability payments. Being useful is a good thing for an amputee.

wedgar likes this.
  8. wedgar

I agree. There are many jobs within the service and I think a wounded GI would be a good fit.

W.T. Jones likes this.
  9. W.T. Jones

Absolutely and it only took the military how many years from the end of Viet Nam to figure that out. They are slow but when it is a good idea that eventually latch on to it like it was their own.

wedgar likes this.
  10. wedgar

The wheels of government turn very slowly on something like this.

I am happy to see the respect and public acknowledgment of our service men and women in recent years. Unfortunately the VA doesn't seem to respect our service people in general.

W.T. Jones likes this.
  11. W.T. Jones

And I have the agree with that. The people that I know who work there (one of them is a fellow shooter) are pretty much disgusted with the "administrative" problems that gets in the way of them serving the Veterans the way they should be served.

wedgar likes this.
  12. wedgar

And the VA appears to be trying to qualify some of our vets has having psychological problems (when they don't) so that their firearms can be taken away. Flat out wrong.

W.T. Jones likes this.
  13. W.T. Jones

I have not seen that but I have heard many comments about it. It seems that any Vet suffering from depression is a candidate for that kind of treatment. I think there are times when prudence dictates some preventative or prophylactic means but to apply it is a blanket policy is just down right wrong.

wedgar likes this.
  14. wedgar

If there is a genuine problem - yes, I understand that. But it appears the VA is using a broad brush stroke to violate 2nd amendment rights.

W.T. Jones likes this.
  15. W.T. Jones

Too broad! Much too broad. The reasoning is probably "there are just too many to give individual attention to" but that isn't a good reason in my set of rules.

wedgar likes this.
  16. wedgar

Kind of like the IRS moving priorities so that callers to the help line weren't answered and just shunted away?

W.T. Jones likes this.
  17. W.T. Jones

IRS - that is one letter short of a four letter word.

You know if our government agencies were really transparent as promised a lot of the misunderstandings might go away in favour of the public working with the agencies rather than criticizing them. I just can't see the foolishness of blanket policies that adversely affect the Veteran without good reasons and good explanations. We are not as dumb as the governmental management would have us believe. The hidden agenda creates more problems than it solves.

wedgar likes this.
  18. wedgar

The hidden agenda doesn't do anyone any good, and if I'm not mistaken, this administration ran on transparency in government. In my opinion we've seen less transparency than in previous administrations.

W.T. Jones likes this.
  19. W.T. Jones

This administration is as transparent as battleship! They would all make good poker players. Hold their cards close to the chest and never leave a tell show on their faces. Lying perfected.

wedgar likes this.
  20. wedgar

Or lies big enough one could drive battleship through...

W.T. Jones likes this.