Skywarn and Summer 2014

Discussion in 'Skywarn Storm Spotting' started by wedgar, Aug 24, 2014.

1. wedgar

wedgar Administrator Staff Member Gold Member

It has been s dull summer so far weather-wise. Please understand I"m not complaining.

We've had some summer thundershowers but nothing threatening and locally we haven't had any Skywarn activations locally.

How about in other areas?

2. DoctorZ

DoctorZ Moderator Staff Member

We've had a wet cool summer here in the Minnesota. We've had a couple of Skywarn days but nothing unusual. We have had a lot of rain, especially earlier in the season. It's been a very quiet storm season the last two years here. Makes me worried about what's in store in the future? Things have a way of balancing out over time.

wedgar likes this.
  3. wedgar

Yes, we've had a very cool summer compared to previous years. We even had to turn the furnace on for several days because it got in the 30's at night.

I see the Farmer's Almanac is calling for a colder than normal winter. Brrrr.......

4. W.T. Jones

W.T. Jones Moderator Staff Member Silver Member Golden GPS Recipient

If you think I am going to 'like' that comment about a colder than normal winter think again.

We have not had one storm or incident that even justified a Skywarn activation. We did have one late in the spring that the Skywarn process worked well for but for the rest of the summer. Nothing.

Weather-wise it was rather boring. I am not adverse to that but as Doctor Z points out some things have a way of balancing out.

I can see me now. Standing in the backyard with a flashlight measuring snowfall.

I gotta go call Cabelas for some winter clothing.

5. wedgar

Even I didn't like it! (n)

6. WA3PZO

WA3PZO Moderator Staff Member

Bring it on....NYSEF Ski Jumping in just 7 weeks! (I'm still only a spectator).

7. wedgar

For
    For a fellow who doesn't like heights, ski jumping isn't on my bucket list... ;)

8. WA3PZO

Probably luge and bobsledding are off the list as well. It's been 30 years since I last participated in either event. My luge friend and instructor was on the US Olympic team and is now an airline pilot.

9. W.T. Jones

W.T. Jones Moderator Staff Member Silver Member Golden GPS Recipient

Heights don't bother me. Nope, not one bit.

It is that falling with the sudden stop at the end that bothers me.

I have successfully alleviated that sudden stop on many instances.

Now that is a rush....

I guess going down a narrow ramp on two barrel staves and flying off into space has the same rush.

10. wedgar

Yep, luge and bobsledding are also absent from the bucket list.

I guess 'the need for speed' prompted your friend to become a pilot. :)

11. WA3PZO

If you visit Lake Placid you can take a ride on a bobsled. For a fee you're given a crash helmet, insurance waivers to sign, and the thrill of doing something you haven't done before.

wedgar likes this.
  12. wedgar

Been to Lake Placid, saw the ski jumps - still a little to high. Didn't see the bobsledding areas though.

Pretty area in the fall!

13. WA3PZO

Fall is the only time I haven't been to Lake Placid. Several times in the winter. Also once in spring and summer. Besides being up there for the Olympics, one fun trip was just before Xmas and seeing fresh cut trees being pulled by sleds. Currier and Ives type moment.

wedgar likes this.
  14. wedgar

Oh yes! That would be simply outstanding!