Skywarn Activations

Discussion in 'Skywarn Storm Spotting' started by wedgar, Apr 30, 2014.

1. wedgar

wedgar Administrator Staff Member Gold Member

Have there been any Skywarn activations for members of this forum community?

I've got a Davis weather station for my QTH and this is the URL link for it:
    http://www.weatherlink.com/user/n3llr/

- Bill

2. W.T. Jones

W.T. Jones Moderator Staff Member Silver Member Golden GPS Recipient

We came close on Thursday but fortunately the heavier rains didn't materialize. Sometimes it is good not to go all way to Defcon 1. Interestingly enough we did have several stations come up on the repeaters with rain reports in their areas which I forwarded to the NWS via email after collecting and summarizing them.

Got a big thank you from the folks in Binghamton. Nothing succeeds like getting noticed.

wedgar likes this.
  3. David Kleber - KB3FXI

David Kleber - KB3FXI Moderator Staff Member

All of the NWS Forecasters I've provided reports to are always appreciative of good, accurate reporting.

During a PEMA/ACS Winter WX activation on 80m earlier this year I called in reports I received from our NBEMS net with rain to snow transition reports. The forecaster gave me a very sincere thank you and asked us to bring any further participation type transition reports to their attention. It's very helpful to take the SKYWARN classes so you know exactly what the most valuable reports are to the forecasters.

W.T. Jones and wedgar like this.
  4. wedgar

Great job!

Providing a steady dependable service is a good thing!

5. wedgar

Absolutely!

6. W.T. Jones

Apparently, on May 12th and 13th there is supposed to be a weather exercise.

Anyone hear anything about that?

7. wedgar

Is this a PEMA and US Weather Service exercise?

Generally, we don't 'play' in those because the exercises are conducted on weekdays and many of our volunteers are working then.

8. W.T. Jones

I think this is part of Weather Week sponsored by the NWS. I am trying to get details on it but it is a little hard because the EMA Director is involved with another drill at the same time. It is during the week that I am sure of.

9. wedgar

Ok... If you are going to participate - have fun!

10. W.T. Jones

That is what it is all about! Having fun!

wedgar likes this.