Old Time Ham Radio Movie

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio General Discussion' started by W.T. Jones, Nov 15, 2015.

1. W.T. Jones

W.T. Jones Moderator Staff Member Silver Member Golden GPS Recipient AtlDiv EPA Leader AtlDiv ARES Member

I received this via email from another Duryea Ham and I thought it was pretty neat. Here is the youtube link for your enjoyment.

wedgar and Tony like this.
  2. wedgar

wedgar Administrator Staff Member Gold Member

Good video! Interesting to see that Mothers/Wives are still trying to assemble their families for dinner while radio slows things down.

W.T. Jones likes this.
  3. W.T. Jones

W.T. Jones Moderator Staff Member Silver Member Golden GPS Recipient AtlDiv EPA Leader AtlDiv ARES Member

Today, given the current predomination of games, it is the X-Box and other games slowing the assemblage of the dinner crowd down. That is if the family still has dinner all at the same time.

wedgar likes this.
  4. wedgar

My son's ex-girlfriend has two sons that spend a huge amount of time in their bedrooms online even to the extreme that they don't play outside often and generally don't participate in chores around the house.

They have exceeded a number of times, the monthly data bandwidth allotted for their account, resulting in larger cable bills.

If they were my kids, they'd have a daily limit on their online time.

W.T. Jones likes this.
  5. W.T. Jones

And they would be out looking for a job to pay the excess charges.

wedgar likes this.
  6. wedgar

You bet!

7. wedgar

Here is another video showing amateur radio...

Time era is just before WWII.

W.T. Jones and Michael J Malone like this.
  8. W.T. Jones

That was a fun video to watch. With all my reading I had never really looked at the FCC's Radio Intelligence Division. So I did what any other savvy computer user would do - I Googled it! I came up with the following article from the CIA itself. What a good read.
    https://www.cia.gov/library/center-...ence/kent-csi/vol4no2/html/v04i2a05p_0001.htm

There is many references to CW in it as well as decrypting of messages including a book code and how it works. From most of my reading about the British XX Committee and Bletchly Park it was familiar. It was interesting to read how the German Spy Schools "fingerprinted" their agents so they could not be fooled by having them "played back" if their agents were captured. The British must have had some very good CW operators because they were very successful at mimicking the agents' fists and fooling the Abwehr.

The article mentions that decrypting the messages was the responsibility of the FBI and the Coast Guard. The British had learned the lesson of concentrating their resources in relation to cryptography and intelligence. The US was smart enough to learn from the success of the British and soon removed the responsibility from the FBI (much to J. Edgar Hoover's frustration) and concentrated it with the US Army and the US Navy for a bigger bang for the buck so to speak.

Thanks Bill! If you find more please post them.

wedgar likes this.
  9. wedgar

This video was played at an ARRL board meeting and we thoroughly enjoyed it.

Rest assured that if I find other films/videos available that won't violate copyright, I'll make them available for viewing.

W.T. Jones likes this.
  10. W.T. Jones

wedgar likes this.
  11. wedgar

It was featured after dinner during the board meeting. Saturday nights, the board would have a movie or two available to watch for down time.

Featured films were: Young Frankenstein, A Fish Called Wanda, Blazing Saddles, and the like...

We work hard and laugh just as hard...

W.T. Jones likes this.
  12. W.T. Jones

All the good classics there! I think that they are all good movies. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Downtime at a BoD meeting. How dare you? Work Work Work!

wedgar likes this.
  13. wedgar

Yes, they are good classics. I've got some of them in the RV to watch during down-times.

I can remember work sessions late at night trying to word-smith resolutions and proposals for the board meeting.

Why, even a few of us were known to have a glass of wine, or something harder while we worked in the evening. Strongest stuff served during the actual board meeting was coffee and plenty of it.

14. W.T. Jones

I guess that it is the "stimulant of choice" for hard working policy sessions. I wonder if Parliament in GB does it with strong cups of tea.

wedgar likes this.
  15. wedgar

Depends upon what goes into the tea...

Just watched the movie, "A Fish Called Wanda" tonight. Some very good laughs in it and it is British humor.

16. W.T. Jones

More than likely a good shot of Brandy to stiffen the upper lip.

It can be a very subtle form of humour or it can be outrageous as in Monty Python. British humour never seems to take the middle ground.

wedgar likes this.
  17. wedgar

Brandy is a good thing.

You're correct, either one likes that type of humor or they don't...

I have a perverted sense of humor and British humor fits well with me.

18. W.T. Jones

Being an Anglophile I too like British Humour. I just wish they would get their gun laws in order. A great people deserve that freedom.

Between celebrating and church. It has been a wonderful Christmas Eve so far!

wedgar likes this.
  19. wedgar

I would also like to see them get their gun laws in order, but don't see that happening any time soon.

We had dinner at my son's place last nightand are going over there tonight as well. We will see our grandson this afternoon there about 3pm also.

We're looking for a nice quiet Christmas day...

W.T. Jones likes this.
  20. W.T. Jones

Glad you had such a good Christmas....

Our Christmas Day was anything but QUIET!

We did the old time thing - played games in the parlour. My sides are still sore from laughing.