Now for some REAL Politics

Discussion in 'Political Discussions' started by Michael J Malone, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Michael J Malone

Michael J Malone Active Member

For my darling bride of 46 years, two grand for new windows is not even an expense; four grand to re-side the homestead is a modest and reasonable fee; but, six dollars for a thumb drive is an extravagance. 'Did you think about what our water, electric,....., bills are when you bought this. Yet after years 0f these 'conversations, I bought a battery-backed up alarm clock radio for the bedroom. It has 3 1/2 inch green numbers.

For several years when my love couldn't sleep, she would wake me and ask what time it was. She couldn't clearly read the old clock face at all. After quite a few comments yesterday re: the price of everything else in our lives and a - a new clock - why - what for - and other such comments, my love woke me at two AM this morning. Said she couldn't sleep and wanted me to know how well she could read the new clock and thought it was nice of me to think of her by buying it.

Finally, I'm a success. Now, if I could just get some sleep.

Mike - WE3L

PS I dare not mention that since she learned how to tap into my WIFI and began to use my printer, she has run up a three to three and a half grand bill in ink and paper used to print her emails, before she reads then (she likes paper), her coupons and only heaven knows what she and the other druid priestesses she consorts with need to print.

wedgar likes this.
  2. wedgar

wedgar Administrator Staff Member Gold Member

Oh boy! I think the printer would "break" and save $3,500- in ink cartridges and paper.

3. Michael J Malone

Me too except - the wife is a Penn State Rural Government graduate - and thus the politics.

A long time ago, she asked me how to use my laser printer. Her ink jet was too slow. I showed her. Later, while photography was a passion of mine, I purchased a true photo printer - for a pretty penny. Soon, the wife was into the photo printer printing everything from color coupons (she thinks they're cute) to pamphlets for her Penn State group using what I had shown her with the b/w laser printer setup.

Now, I had found a Diapheromera femorata, a Northern Walking Stick, on a tree truck in early fall. This particular insect was quite dark in nature and hid well on the tree's side. It was at Hawk Mountain - we were there for the early migration. Well, I took dozens of photos of the bug on several different trees/on differing bark back grounds - using many different aperture/time settings and a host of filters. I wanted to learn more about successful photography. After a couple of hours of bugging, I joined the Mrs. for some bird watching. As the sun began to set, we sidled off the mountain and idled into Hamburg for a date night and a lovely dinner.

The following day and for the next couple of days, I played with my bugs photos on the computer using a very sophisticated, at least I thought they were sophisticated, set of editing software. I chose my best picts and edits and printed them on the costly printer with costly pigments on costly paper and proudly handed them to anyone I could button hole.

When I realized the Wife was using the printer, I addressed what I though was a problem of miss-use and waste - what a mistake. She mustered all of her political training techniques learned at Penn State and - stated briefly - showed me that my bug picts were no more important and requiring excellent printing than her money saving coupons or her maintaining her network with classmates at Penn State. I thought I had been run over by both a local Borough Manager and a municipal union when she was done.

It was my first great lesson in politics - the art of having your own way - and why I smile at both not sleeping and realizing 'I am the wasteful one'.

Luckily, cartridges for the big printer are no longer available.

Mike - WE3L

4. wedgar

Perhaps its just me, but coupons don't need to be printed on photo grade paper and higher density print.

Just saying...

5. Michael J Malone

Oh I agree ... but the politics ... I mean there was that diamond ring and then ...

wedgar likes this.
  6. wedgar

Yes, I do understand.

Marriage is a compromise. (y)