N3SRO IOTA NA-067

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio General Discussion' started by W.T. Jones, Sep 14, 2016.

Tags:
  1. W.T. Jones

W.T. Jones Moderator Staff Member Silver Member Golden GPS Recipient AtlDiv EPA Leader AtlDiv ARES Member

One of our local ARES members is operating IOTA from Hatteras Island, NC, this week.

Dave, N3SRO, has been an amateur radio operator for over 20 years and only 2 years ago did he find how just how much fun it really is. This week he is finding out how much fun it is to be on the receiving side of a pileup. He has them flocking to him right now.

I worked him on Tuesday from our local ARES Station, W3LUZ, and again tonight from home on PSK-31. Dave normally resides in Dallas, PA, but this week he is a rare island and having a blast according to his email.

He will be there until September 17th and if you want a sked with him email himi at n3sro@arrl.net

I have posted an album in the media section with his pictures.

Here is the link to his RSGB IOTA activation: https://www.rsgbiota.org/activations/details.php?activ_uid=00011066

wedgar likes this.
  2. Tony

Tony Moderator Staff Member

I have to admit that your post sent me in a nearly futile title search. It was touch and go there for a while, but when I finally surfaced in England I found out IOTA means
    Islands on the Air.

This seems a puzzling exploit, but, whatever floats your boat . . . to get you to the island, that is.

My quest also introduced me to rsgb. It took some puzzling, but I'm guessing Radio Society of Great
    Briton. And if I'm right, RSGB sponsors IOTA. CUL.

wedgar and W.T. Jones like this.
  3. W.T. Jones

W.T. Jones Moderator Staff Member Silver Member Golden GPS Recipient AtlDiv EPA Leader AtlDiv ARES Member

Now that was very punny....

I thought everyone would know the IOTA. I mean it is just like the SOTA and NPOTA. Its an international amateur radio pastime. I think. I could be wrong. I probably am. This is the first specific IOTA contact that I have ever worked. And I probably would not have worked it unless it was N3SRO. I see him every week at the EOC (Emergency Operations Center). I think that he was just as excited to work me as I was to work him. I worked him on Friday via SSB at his request. Glad I did. I finally uploaded my LOTW (You probably know that one too) log so that he would get the records and when I downloaded I found a lot waiting for me. Mostly NAQP (you can google that one) RTTY (and you should recognize that one) contacts.

I think that the Radio Society of Great Britain (founded in 1913, the year before the ARRL) does sponsor or at least coordinate the Islands On The Air project.

Thanks for the reminder to add the words to the letters.

Have a great week. I am going to work the 2nd Triathlon for this weekend in the morning. Last one for the year!

BTW, Fall comes on the 22nd this year. That is in 5 days from the time that this is being written. If you look at it after the 22nd it will be almost a year away. Just depends on your perspective at the time.

wedgar likes this.
  4. Tony

The 22nd of what? :D

wedgar and W.T. Jones like this.
  5. W.T. Jones

You were an editor in a previous life.... :p

wedgar likes this.
  6. Tony

I go around straighten lampshades and pictures, too.

7. wedgar

wedgar Administrator Staff Member Gold Member

Wow! That sounds like that would be a lot of fun. Did he operate as a single station? Beautiful area there.

8. wedgar

Ha-ha! Very good.

Yes on RSGB and I believe so on the IOTA sponsorship...

9. wedgar

Yea, but what kind of editor??? Enquiring minds want to know... :cool:

10. W.T. Jones

N3SRO operated "Holiday Style" all by his lonesome. Holiday Style means that when ever there was nothing more interesting to do or family didn't have demands on his time he was at the radio. Since he was introduced to HF operation only a short time ago he has not had the experience of being on the "right side" of a pileup and he loved it. His return to Northeastern PA has seen the installation of a loop antenna for HF. He has been bitten by the Operating Bug. His total count of Q's (contacts Tony contacts) was around 65 or so.

Everyone should become familiar with the Radio Society of Great Britain. They do offer a lot of interesting on-the-air activities.

Could be vi, emacs, vim, notepad, leafpad, or any of those kinds of editors.

And since he is (was) an editor what exactly is the difference between enquire and inquire? And which one is the correct one for "Enquiring Minds" or should it be "Inquiring Minds"?

wedgar likes this.
  11. Tony

Inquiring! Trust me.

wedgar likes this.
  12. W.T. Jones

Well, I'll take the answer but you are asking an awful lot regarding the trust part.

13. wedgar

Usually the best way to keep peace in the family.

Yes they do. And they also have some very good publications!

Enquiring minds for the National Inquirer. :whistle:

14. wedgar

Were you participating in the Presidential debate? "Trust me, trust me." :rolleyes: