Poll Life Time Amateur Radio Licenses?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio General Discussion' started by wedgar, Feb 29, 2016.

Are you in favor of life-time amateur radio licenses in the US?

Poll closed Mar 21, 2016.
  1. Yes

4 vote(s)
  2. No

0 vote(s)
  3. Undecided

0 vote(s)
  1. wedgar

wedgar Administrator Staff Member Gold Member

The FCC is seeking comments on a Petition for Rule Making (RM 11760) that asks the FCC to grant lifetime Amateur Radio licenses. Mark F. Krotz, N7MK, of Mesa, Arizona, filed his request with the FCC last November. He wants the FCC to revise § 97.25 of its rules to indicate that Amateur Radio licenses are granted for the holder’s lifetime, instead of for the current 10 year term.
  2. Jeremy

Jeremy Active Member

I have 4 licenses from the FCC. Three of them are for my lifetime. I guess the difference is that the amateur ticket is also a station license, which comes with the expiration date. Other than opening up some call signs up for recycling through the vanity program, or making it a bit easier to separate the active licensees from the inactive ones, I can't see why there is much of a reason for the FCC to expend the effort and resources to process renewal applications and purge expired licenses all the time.
    wedgar likes this.
  3. wedgar

I think you may have hit the nail right on the head... The FCC may want to clean up old call signs so they can be recycled. I know some hams that really want a unique 1x2 or 2x1 call...
  4. W.T. Jones

W.T. Jones Moderator Staff Member Silver Member Golden GPS Recipient

I think that lifetime license is a good idea but there needs to be a process to determine when that lifetime is over. A simplified method of renewal or simply a confirmation that the holder is alive. Having gone through the passing of 3 Amateur Radio Operators this year I have found that notifying the FCC of the passing of the Ham in the Family is the last thing on the minds of the family. I'll leave it to others to determine the process. I would say a letter to the licensee address but that is an expense that the FCC is trying to avoid. It might be cheaper than the renewal process. Or it might be simply entering the ULS and touching the license record. It would be cumbersome at first but as our Hams age that process might become more natural.
  5. Tony

Tony Moderator Staff Member

I don't see it being so difficult to renew if you care about your license even just a little bit.

Why let somebody squat on a call sign just to say he passed the test some number of years ago?
  6. wedgar

In the past, when the FCC accepted a letter notifying them that the holder of an amateur radio license had passed away, there were a few times that disgruntled amateurs sent in a letter to the FCC fraudulently stating that the holder of an amateur radio call had passed away. Now the FCC needs a copy of the death certificate to validate the amateur really did pass away.
  7. W.T. Jones

W.T. Jones Moderator Staff Member Silver Member Golden GPS Recipient

That is true and it is why the ARRL wants either the obit or a copy of a death certificate (and technically it is illegal to copy a death certificate) so that those less than upstanding members of the Amateur Radio Community do not perform such a deed.

But the purpose of the post was state that at a time of grief and with so many other important things to take care of telling the FCC that a Ham has passed on to Glory is not very close to their mind. And if the family doesn't get help from the amateur radio community it may never get done.
    wedgar likes this.
  8. wedgar

Yep, most families of ham aren't aware of the intricacies of amateur radio and canceling a license is the last thing on their minds...