Just Stuff

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio General Discussion' started by Michael J Malone, Jun 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Michael J Malone

Michael J Malone Active Member

For the second time, I have forgotten to maintain my laptop. The CMOS Battery fizzled out. It was a pain to recover everything after all of the "help" I received from various pro's.

I am going to try to remember to change CMOS batteries annually when I change smoke detector, and what-not, batteries -- change them all at once.

Mike - WE3L

wedgar likes this.
  2. wedgar

wedgar Administrator Staff Member Gold Member

Mike,

That is not a bad idea. You probably could get away changing them every several years also...

3. Michael J Malone

OK. A couple of things; cmos and batteries, my computer down for a while, missed communications, a communicator's comments and a posting on my own clubs forum.

1) change the cmos battery annually for me actually does slide out to two or three years - the posting of annually with smoke detector checks is a little trick that usually works - I think about it as I do something else.

2) accruing problems with my internet access as the cmos died kept me off the internet a lot and I missed Cascadia rising and such. And, I missed communicator's comments of two weeks ago.

3) So, NTS worked fine during the NW's drill. Saw the neat posting of the CW message handling. Got a copy of the action taken by ARRL against Mr. Ames on the local club's forum. ARRL stuff is confusing me again. When I took ARES, FEMA and PEMA training, hoping to be part of and an asset to ARES, I was constantly asked if I was trying to take over; when I volunteered to help out, I was constantly asked if I was a social climber; when I asked for information or help I was asked why I was always so critical. Now an NTS Chair has been dismissed for interacting with a user of ARRL/NTS/ARES-RACES services.

4) My personal misgivings re EMCOM began to grow because of local interpersonal tensions and interactions. They grew to the point that I am an inch short of not participating at all. I have moved from hoping to find a niche in ARES to climbing Mt. Minsi in prep for an NPOTA activation or two or three from the top.

What is happening in EPA, PA, AD and ARRL?

5) Just some real stuff, now. I spend several years so ill that I almost could not leave the house most days. A trip to Dayton near killed me. I am feeling my better and the de-conditioning I am trying to reverse has led me to 'scale' Mt. Minsi. (Can make it to the top in well under 2 hours, now; next, up the hill with my developing mountain top field station).

Maybe all of this perceived unsettledness is a good thing. Its helped get me up off my half crippled behind and back outdoors.

Mike - WE3L
    73's

4. wedgar

I like your thought about using the annual check for your cmos as most people don't give it much thought.

Keep in mind that my comments are strictly my own and that I have not been involved with the ARRL or privy to ARRL personnel discussions in the last several years.

That being said, from what I read from the ARRL news article, the ARRL EPA Section Manager who also was the ARRL Eastern area NTS Chair, was removed from both positions for violating the duties of one or more positions. The news article stated that the individual had been warned by the ARRL CEO almost a year ago. It appears from the ARRL news article that the EPA Section Manager/Eastern Area NTS Chair did not take heed of that warning and continued to violate his/her job duties.

In many organizations, if you do not follow the duties of a position you hold, you would be removed from your position(s) in that organization.

Glad to hear that you are getting out more and enjoying the outdoors. I am currently back in Pennsylvania for July 4th and then back down to Georgia after that.

I have a friend near Wilkes-Barre that had some serious health issues and may visit there before heading back down south.

Hope you have an enjoyable and safe July 4th.

5. Michael J Malone

As to dismissal - I have fired or had fired, several persons during my career. In each case, the offenses, violations and/or derelictions were clearly understood. I am not taking sides in the recent ARRL decisions but I would hope that this could be a learning moment. So, what was done or not done or both to require or necessitate dismissal. I am wondering about the administrative actions that a supervisor at such a level could take that would be violations instead of being supervision.

A possible learning moment maybe?!?

Mike - WE3L
    73's

wedgar likes this.
  6. wedgar

I have also had to terminate people working for me in both my professional life and in my volunteer life.

The ARRL has terminated three section managers in its history. I assure you it isn't an event taken lightly; and the Executive Committee of the ARRL has five directors serving on it and they have to vote on terminating a section manager, so at least three out of five directors have to vote in favor of the termination - not necessarily an easy task.

Additionally, in these litigious times, not all of the details relating to a termination are generally released publicly.

7. Tony

Tony Moderator Staff Member

wedgar likes this.
  8. Michael J Malone

Tony,

Thanks for the reference; it is, however the reference that is leading to my questions. In the reference, it states that the NTS Chair is not a supervisory position - not an HQ position. That seems odd to me - then chair of what. Also in the reference, it states that the Chair was making agreements and commitments beyond the MOU between ARRL and FEMA. It seems odd to me that FEMA would believe that extra MOU agreements could or should be made.

I will drop the subject as of now. It does not seem as though any teaching moment will occur in this situation and that is all I was hoping for.

As I drop this, I will briefly give a why as to my interest. In my region, several government properties are used for events that Amateur Radio participates in. Some of these events have traditional HQ's and radio-persons work out of the HQ's comming with Amateurs 'in the field.' I volunteered to donate and permanently install well mounted and elevated VHF/UHF base antennas at a pair of sites just as a friendly gesture. The work was never attempted as I went back and forth with local authorities in a yes - no - yes game that continued until an acquaintance in a local municipality explained to me that I was being thought of as a transgressor by various local big wigs; all while just wanting to help. Today, I have no antenna dreams or wishes or even suggestions for anyone.

Time to heal my latest blister and get back up Mt. Minsi.

Mike - WE3L
    73's

9. wedgar

Mike,

We had that some thought process in our county until we got a new EMA director and started working with him and showing what we could do and what we didn't do. It took a little while and soon we were welcomed at the EMA "table" along with other groups. They all got to see how we worked well with the others and we weren't viewed as a threat but as a reliable resource.