Fun for club members

Discussion in 'Club Management' started by Gilbert Skip Kauffman, Mar 17, 2014.

1. WA3PZO

WA3PZO Moderator Staff Member

The Holmesburg ARC July meeting was a QSL Party. We just finished participating in the 13 Colonies Special Event and had close to 800 qsl cards (and counting) to answer.
    This event will not only get the operators involved but also those that aren't involved with hf or exchanging qsl cards. It's also a good time to talk about Field Day. August is the club picnic.
    Agood time for all without needing a speaker for either meeting.

Gilbert Skip Kauffman likes this.
  2. Gilbert Skip Kauffman

Gilbert Skip Kauffman Moderator Staff Member Bronze Member

I must admit I have funded some members when I was working.. Believe me it has been returned several times over since
    I have been on SSI.

3. Gilbert Skip Kauffman

Many years ago 1969 the call WX3MAS was the first vanity/special event call ever given by the FCC. Our club had bags of
    mail delivered to the club treasure.... We spent many nights working on ping pong tables sorting the mail from all over the
    world. It's good to be DX hi hi
    de Skip

wedgar likes this.
  4. wedgar

wedgar Administrator Staff Member Gold Member

You mean ho ho ho? :)

5. WA3PZO

Always enjoy working the special event stations, particularly DX since they have a wide variety of prefixes that I chase for the CQ WPX award. It also gives you a chance to add more certificates/wall paper to the collection. One of the easy awards is the Bulgarian Saints Award. Each month there is a different call/prefix from Bulgaria. Work a minimum of 5 stations (1 each month) and get a certificate e-mailed back to you. Also they qsl via the bureau or LOTW. July is LZ1810PPW and August LZ1680MTS.

wedgar likes this.
  6. wedgar

Bob,

That's excellent! Thanks for sharing.

7. Gilbert Skip Kauffman

That's a great event for all. I used to collect paper but I do the 13 Colonies and PA QSO Party for worked all PA counties.
    Chasing paper is fun. CQ mag has an Awards sections every month. Check it out .
    de Skip

8. Gilbert Skip Kauffman

QSL night at your club.
    Hold a QSL night every 3 months or so at your club. Have everyone to bring a QSL Card or EQSL to the meeting.
    The member chooses a QSL from a station they where proud of working. Or, make it a game, the QSL from
    your closest contact, non club members. I have a few very funny QSL cards and some which are almost a
    work of art. Some are dirt cheap, drawn on a piece of paper. Potter county is a rare county in PA. That
    reminds me I have no QSL cards. Someday I need to order them... OK, I'm cheap, I send post cards with
    a stamp.
    de Skip

9. WA3PZO

Familiar with CQ Awards section. DXAwards.com is a comprehensive list of long and short term awards. Speaking of working all PA counties.
    The Holmesburg ARC (Phila) sponsors the PA 67 Challenge. A Worked All Counties award but can be earned in steps, starting with 20 counties. It's a get on the air award.
    Complete details http://harcnet.org/pa67.htm.

wedgar and Gilbert Skip Kauffman like this.
  10. Gilbert Skip Kauffman

I have worked all 67 counties in the PA QSO party and have plaque from the Nittany Club.... The only other worked
    all counties is Delaware on 2 meter SSB and AM back in the 1960's
    I would love to go to Germany to the hamfest at Frederichshappen . I hear it's a blast !! A friend of mine goes every year
    and he takes his guitar with him.... They enjoy 50's rock over there....
    de Skip

11. wedgar

Excellent! A fun event is always a good thing for people to participate in.

12. k4gkj

k4gkj Member

I have been mentally chewing on the idea Skip Kauffman has with the 'Clubhouse'. We certainly don't have the ability to rent a building, but a few of us have toy boxes (the name of my shack) that can accomodate a few folks. I'm thinking about proposing an extra meeting night for play and experimenting. But I can forsee others not wanting to do this for the simple idea of wanting to keep thier homes private and not have the restroom open to what are strangers to the rest of the family (and that in itself is a shame). Also forsee whomever is hosting having to worry about drinks, chairs, etc.
    The donut idea went over well. bought more than enough and they still all went (no leftovers). I had members bring thier own beverages - and certainly got permission from my EM to bring food into the EOC before mentioning it! I'm going to do it again, but the next month I'll bring back our 50/50 drawing to help cover the cost as suggested. Our club is already struggling, I'm not much better off being on a low fixed income.
    The kits are still a hit, as long as they are not so large that they take up the night.... only so far I can go doing that.... so I'm getting extra kits so members can take them home with them. This also gives everyone the 'hands on' factor. Hoping that will allow for some to be willing to stay the extra 15 miutes or so. But if the idea of a second meeting could take off, this will be the time for kits to be built and such. Been thinking about just pulling some things out of my toy box for more room and just make my place the standard spot (pretty central enough for 90% of club members)... My goal is to gain more members, strengthen bonds, and at some point soon, not have to pay for kits all myself. It is working, but very slowly (and that is okay)...

wedgar likes this.
  13. Gilbert Skip Kauffman

I agree whole heartedly with you and the thought of an "open house/shack night". That would help in the social structure of your
    organization. You can use an empty garage in the summertime and make it a family picnic type event. Another event that might
    add interest is a Mobile Antenna Measuring Contest... You would need a simple Field Strength meter for VHF, tape measure, and
    a large parking area. If you have better portable field measuring devices all the better... Some folks think they have a good antenna
    on their vehicle, but the numbers won't lie. Again, include a picnic of at least finger food, snacks, sweets and drinks... I am partial
    to Cold Iced Tea, lime and no sugar.
    The game we used to play often was "FOX hunt. Start off with making directional antennas... If you use a Yagi remember to use
    the back part of the antenna, or NULL" to find the direction.
    The contest was time and distance measure... Everyone would leave from a parking lot at the same time and the winner was the shortest distance and time to the find. Also, prizes for Shortest time
    and shortest distance..
    I have tutored folks for many years on the use of logging programs... I have a computer projector and laptop with various
    logging and contest programs... Freeware and that stuff you pay for.... The use of the projector allows folks to see every key stroke
    you do. They can even follow along..
    I also, invite folks to my shack to work a computerized contest station. N1MM, to my Orion, Serial port to the CW input and
    a foot switch for PTT and headphones. Voice message for CQ via the computer or the Orion. It does take some time to get the hang of the foot switch..
    Many idea's your limited only by your imagination.

wedgar likes this.
  14. wedgar

One thing to consider also. is that hams some years ago used to have young people over to work with them on amateur radio topics. Now a days, we should keep in mind what is used by the Boy Scout program, is that there should be a minimum of 3 people present while you're working with a young person. That way, everyone is protected.

I agree kits are a hit with young people and it keeps everyone's attention focused on fun and learning.

15. wedgar

Skip,

Great ideas!

- Bill

16. Gilbert Skip Kauffman

We have lost our meeting site at the hospital here in Coudersport, PA..... The September meeting
    for the Potter CO ARES is going to be a mobile antenna test.... Folks will bring their cars and we
    will setup a 1/4 wave vert. on the car and take field strength measurements and then remove
    the 1/4 wave vert and use the hams mobile antenna. What we hope to accomplish is the antenna
    patterns 1/4 wave vert against the hams own antenna. We will look for any difference in gain..
    If necessary we will check the SWR in the car..... I have found 2 sites that may be big enough....
    I like to have at least 1000 ft with car in the middle and take measurements every 100 ft with
    500 ft on all sides of the car, front, back and sides.

October, PAQSO party... Logging software and station integration with the software. If we have
    a conference room site..... If not, how to build and use fox hunt antennas......

Until we have a meeting site we will not have more VE test sessions in Potter CO.

wedgar likes this.