Club activities

Discussion in 'Club Management' started by wedgar, Feb 24, 2014.

1. wedgar

wedgar Administrator Staff Member Gold Member

Besides regular club meetings, what type of activities does your club do during the year?

Our local club has set up amateur radio displays at the local mall, set up an amateur radio booth at a regional outdoor show and also setup a day long demonstration of amateur radio at the local library.

Each of those demonstrations featured working demos of different facets of the service.

How about your club?

2. Jerrysez

Jerrysez Member

Field Days, a club picnic and a Christmas party..

3. wedgar

Does your club reach out and demonstrate amateur radio to the public?

4. Gilbert Skip Kauffman

Gilbert Skip Kauffman Moderator Staff Member Bronze Member

I have tried to do an outreach program here in Coudersport, Potter Co. I was seeking input from the local CERT, CB'ers, and any other groups interested in communication. I used the local Blog, "Solomon's Word". Jim let's me advertise for free in order to help the ARES. I did this for 6 months at the Pine Creek Inn on Saturday morning for breakfast. I had no takers. I did have breakfast with some of the local ARC and Hams from Tioga Co, PA. Last year I talked to the Potter Co Fair group to give a presentation on Ham Radio and Encomm. They wanted to charge me $300.00 for the space rental at the County Fair grounds. I advertise my ARES meetings and VE sessions in the Blog, and local radio WFRM. I still never have had any non hams come for a meeting or presentation. I now hold ARES meetings every month because I have had more folks joining us for the NBEMS part of the meeting. When I have my VE session I try to make the folks welcome, with coffee and donuts. I did the same fare at the meeting at Smethport, PA when Harry Bloomberg gave his demonstration. I do it because folks settle down and talk over the coffee and cakes, also to keep them awake with large intakes of sugar.. I know Bill was at the program at the Smethport EOC. He may comment on it. I did a lot of advertising for that date. I had ask my local library if I could hold a presentation on Ham radio and Emergency Communications and they were very receptive.. I had to cancel because of lack of local help. I not mobile enough to carry stuff and put up antennas by myself. I have contacted the VFD folks in Potter Co. They were receptive about a program on Emergency Communication but the local club had no interest in helping me. I am working on a power point presentation and video to show hams working in Emergency situations. I guess I should ask Bill if the League has anything I can use.

5. wedgar

Skip,

There are some PowerPoint presentations available in the Club Resources section.

What specifically are you looking for from the ARRL?

6. W.T. Jones

W.T. Jones Moderator Staff Member Silver Member Golden GPS Recipient

As the VP for our club I have the task of finding programs that will keep the members awake, I mean interested, after the meeting.

I just saw the ARRL at 100 DVD and that looks like it will be something of interest. Well, worth the $11 price tag even if I am the only one that finds it interesting.

Gilbert Skip Kauffman likes this.
  7. wedgar

Yep, I think that would be a good one to see.

8. Gilbert Skip Kauffman

The ARES presentations that I have given stress the difference and interaction with RACES. The group here could not understand the difference between them. I would like to have a presentation showing how the ARES interfaces with local agencies. How the ARES members are deployed. They can be at a central command location or wherever needed. The members should be familiar with the equipment they are going to operate. Basically, an overall view of the how, where and why ARES are activated. The association with the served agencies and there kinds of locations they may encounter .

9. W.T. Jones

W.T. Jones Moderator Staff Member Silver Member Golden GPS Recipient

Just when I think the imagination has gone out of the club there they go and surprise me.

At Field Day last year we had some interference between stations. Nothing great but something that could be remedied with some filters.

Well, one of the club members found a vendor that supplies the kits for the filters so we are having a club project to build them. It is going to be great because many of the members have wanted something technical for a while. So after this month we'll be winding toroids.

10. wedgar

So, am I to understand that it will be a toroid love affair going on at your club? :whistle:

11. Frank K2SQS

Frank K2SQS New Member

BCRC events vary - at least some do. Field Day, a Christmas dinner, a fall picnic, JOTA we do annually. We also sponsor the NJ QSO party. This year we are trying a club brunch (this has already been popular among the YLs and XYLs!), a special event station (Carranza Memorial in July), an antenna building and testing party the first weekend in June, an exhibit at a local farm fair market, participation in VHF contests, and the August Skeeter Hunt. Fox hunting plans have also begun. Although no plans have been made, at the last club meeeting there was some interest in scheduling a trip to ARRL HQ and W1AW.

wedgar and Gilbert Skip Kauffman like this.
  12. Gilbert Skip Kauffman

That's a tremendous amount of socializing. It's nice to have the ladies present and meet other XYL's. They have a common affliction, husbands who are hams !
    The local out reach at the Farmers Market could help invite new folks into Ham Radio.. That's a great social and community program.... If all clubs had events like that
    we may have more new hams.... Thanks for sharing ... de Skip

13. wedgar

Some of the clubs in the Atlantic Division have visited ARRL HQ and have thoroughly enjoyed their visit. Skyview Amateur Radio Society in New Kensington, PA took a train trip over three years ago from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia to New York City and final destination - Hartford, CT. The club rented three vans to haul club members around and they still talk about the trip!

ARRL staff was extremely accommodating.

14. wedgar

Good point, Skip. Also keep in mind that more YL's are becoming licensed also. (y)

15. Frank K2SQS

Frank K2SQS New Member

BCRC did a bus trip maybe 6 yrs ago to HQ -great success! And, yes, we got a great reception, tour, and even help finding a nice place to have lunch, not to mention operating from W1AW.

Gilbert Skip Kauffman and wedgar like this.
  16. wedgar

Excellent! Very impressive at ARRL HQ.