Poll ARRL Asks FCC to Continue Issuing Hard Copy Licenses to Those Who Want Them

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio General Discussion' started by American Radio Relay, Nov 6, 2014.

?

Do you agree with the FCC proposal to eliminate paper licences?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  3. Not certain

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. In comments filed November 5, the ARRL has recommended that the FCC continue to provide paper license documents to Amateur Radio licensees who want them. The League’s remarks were in response to an FCC Public Notice (in WT Docket 14-161) that proposed to cease the routine issuance of hard-copy license documents to all Wireless Service licensees, including radio amateurs. While having a paper li...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2014
  2. W.T. Jones

W.T. Jones Moderator Staff Member Silver Member Golden GPS Recipient AtlDiv EPA Leader AtlDiv ARES Member

There is something about that piece of paper. It represents a lot of work, a life time of experience, and milestone in my life. I rather proud of having a copy of it to hang on the shack wall. The FCC doesn't have to mail me one but it should provide a means of printing one for those of us who want one.

David Kleber - KB3FXI and wedgar like this.
  3. wedgar

wedgar Administrator Staff Member Gold Member

And there are times that it is handy to have that piece of paper to avoid trouble. Some governmental entities don't want you to talk on the radio while driving, but have been decent in carving out an exception for amateur radio operators. That piece of paper proves you are one. (y)

Jeremy likes this.
  4. Tony

Tony Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, and I think they should eliminate driver licenses, medical licenses and pilots licenses. Just let us all climb into a car, an operating room or a cockpit left seat based on our good looks.

5. David Kleber - KB3FXI

David Kleber - KB3FXI Moderator Staff Member

My hard copy is in my wallet for that very reason.

6. wedgar

As well as mine.

7. Jeremy

Jeremy Active Member

I agree, try telling your local LEO, who is almost entirely ignorant of radio regulations, that he has to go to ULS to verify your license. It's much simpler to have a paper copy. I keep a photo copy in my wallet and bring the original on the ship. I also post a copy near my /MM station.

JCA

wedgar likes this.
  8. wedgar

Whoops! That would leave you out from driving, flying or talking on the radio! :p