ARRL ARES Communicator's Comments - 2018-04-01

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Emergency Communications' started by W.T. Jones, Apr 1, 2018.

1. W.T. Jones

W.T. Jones Moderator Staff Member Silver Member Golden GPS Recipient

[​IMG]
    Luzerne County ARES® Sunday Night Bulletin
    "We don't rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training."
    Archilochus - Greek Poet and Soldier

"Success is not Final. Failure is not Fatal. The only thing that matters is the courage to carry on."
    Winston Churchill
    If you are an ARRL member and you have at least noticed what the ARRL Board is doing then here is the information you need to react to it.
    If you are not aware of what the ARRL Board is doing then it is time for you to get informed!

MY ARRL VOICE

• Current Versions of Fldigi programs
        • Luzerne County ARES® Information...
        • Luzerne County ARES®Net Control Schedule
        • Luzerne County LCARES Announcements...
        • Click Here for the Luzerne County ARES®Activities Schedule
        • Click Here for Net Schedules of Interest - updated on 2/17/2018
        • 2018 LCARES Members Operational Status - Net Stats - Bulletin Responses (updated 3/31/18)...
        • Weekly Images
        • An ARRL ARES®Communicator's Comments
          • !In a Hurry?....
          • You have all the time in the world...
          • OH8STN and Dakota Lithium Batteries...
          • !ARC Safe and Well Custom Message Form...
          • Ricketts Glen Walk About...
          • Spring Skywarn Training...
        • EPA-ARRL Web site...
        • Ham Radio Links
        • Closing
    Bulletin Date: April 1, 2018
    Bulletin Number: 192

This Bulletin is for all Amateur Radio Operators in Luzerne County and any interested Amateur Radio Station anywhere.

Note: A copy of this Bulletin is stored on the www.w3luz.org web site in .wav file format. This file can be replayed by Fldigi and Flamp to get the complete Bulletin.

Current Versions of Fldigi programs
    Current Versions of Fldigi Suite
    Fldigi Flmsg Flamp
    4.0.16 4.0.6 2.2.03
    Current as of: April 1, 2018. *Indicates an update in the past week.
    Latest versions available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/fldigi/files/

Luzerne County ARES® Information...
    - Important: The Sunday Night Bulletin is required reading for all LCARES Members.

Luzerne County ARES®Net Control Schedule
    The Rotation Schedule for the LCARES Voice net has been posted on the www.w3luz.org. Last update: March 11, 2018

Please be sure to review the NCS schedule before the upcoming nets.

Luzerne County LCARES Announcements...
    (These will be read by the Alternate NCS during the regular weekly session of the LCARES Voice Net.)

* - indicates that announcement should not be read on the LCARES Net.

1. The 2018 Communications Exercise is set for April 28th. The planned frequencies will be on 2 meters and 10 meters. There are plans for 2 fixed locations and at least 3 mobile stations.
    2. A dry-run of the proposed locations for the April Commex will be held on April 7th. The EC would like as many LCARES members who can make it come and try it out. This will be a quick session requiring only setup at the locations and a test with the EOC. Be prepared for both 75 meter and 10 meter operations.
    3. Flmsg 4.0.6 is good to go. LCARES members can install it without worries since it was pretty much beaten to death on the LCADN on March 20th. The computers at the EOC (LCARES Room Computer and Go-Kit Laptops) will remain on 4.0.5 until after the Murgas Meeting in April.
    4. !On April 3rd the American Red Cross' Safe and Well Custom Message Form will be tested during the LCADN. The link is in the April 1st Sunday Night Bulletin. If you did get the bulletin then you can download the audio file from the W3LUZ web site and play it back to get it. Be sure to put the form in the right CUSTOM folder.
    Click Here for the Luzerne County ARES®Activities Schedule
    Click Here for Net Schedules of Interest - updated on 2/17/2018
    2018 LCARES Members Operational Status - Net Stats - Bulletin Responses (updated 3/31/18)...

Note: Credit is given for responding but to win, place, or show the answer has to be correct.
    Sunday Night Bulletin for March 25, 2018 Responses
    1st Response
    Dave - N3SRO
    2109hrs
    2nd Response
    Mark - WB3FKP
    2114hrs
    3rd Response
    Bob - KB3VS
    Rick - K3TOW
    2118hrs
    Total Bulletin Responses for Last Week - 10
    Weekly Images
    [​IMG]
    He Is Risen! It is what I believe. Happy Easter!

An ARRL ARES®Communicator's Comments
    !In a Hurry?....
    - I know that some of you are feeling a bit rushed. So I am starting something new in the Sunday Night Bulletin. I do this in the Monthly Update and it seems to work well.

Some times I put things in the SNB that I definitely want read. So for future reference, watch for the red exclamation point(!) in the title of the section and in the Table of Contents. This does not mean that you can ignore the rest of the bulletin. It just means that things with the ! need to be read as soon as possible.

And read the next section when you have time.

You have all the time in the world...
    - I know that some of you are feeling a time crunch. Been there - done that - have more than 1 T-shirt to prove it.

Once upon a time in a Corporation far far away (thank goodness) I was sent to a Time Management Seminar. I won't go into all the details because it was pretty much a wasted 8 hours except for 2 points.

The first point is so obvious that most of us miss it. The facilitator told us that the fact is we have all the time in the world. We were born with it. It can't be taken away from us. We can only give it away. It is finite quantity and for that reason it needs to be used wisely. You are in control of that time from the moment you were slapped on your bottom and will be until you close your eyes for the final time. It is strictly up to you how you use it. And, like all things that you do, how you use it has consequences. You waste it and you suffer.

The second point was it is up to you to set your priorities and stick to them. Write them down. Walk away for a day. Come back to them and think about them. Who in your life has the right to demand time from you and who do you want to give it to without negotiating some payback. This was the hardest thing for me to do but I did it. I found that once I did it was easier for me to say "no" when there was no reason for giving my time away.

And once you have given away time you really can never get it back.

Set your priorities and stick to them. If someone is struggling with a problem don't solve it for them. Tell them where to find the answer and point them in the right direction. Don't be so quick to say "I'll help you with that." I have heard this so many times in casual conversation; "I'll help you with that." No one asked but the person was giving away their time. Remember, give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. There is more truth there than you realize.

John C. Maxwell said "Time Management is an oxymoron. Time is beyond our control, and the clock keeps ticking regardless of how we lead our lives. Priority Management is the answer to maximizing the time we have."

Get your priorities straight, don't be afraid to say that you have other priorities and cannot help right now, when asked for help be sure that is 1) worthwhile giving it, and 2) that the help you give instructs the person so they can do it themselves.

Be sure that one of your priorities is time for yourself. If you don't you'll find that you can't give any one any time at all.

OH8STN and Dakota Lithium Batteries...
    - I know this is Easter and I promised to keep it short but I read this post from Julian and thought that it was interesting.

http://oh8stn.org/blog/2018/03/30/dakota-lithium-vs-bioenno-power-lifepo4-for-ham-radio/

I like Bioenno Batteries but this just might be a good alternative.

!ARC Safe and Well Custom Message Form...
    - Here is the link to the American Red Cross Safe and Well Custom Message Form.

http://www.w3luz.org/saw/ARC_Safe_and_Well_v1.1.html

Please note that the proper way to save this custom form is to Right Click on the link and then select "save as" on the drop down menu.

DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK AND OPEN IT IN YOUR BROWSER! THE ONLY WAY TO GET THE CORRECT FILE NAME STORED IN THE CUSTOM FOLDER IS TO FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THE PRECEDING LINE! THIS PROCESS HAS BEEN CONFIRMED BY AT LEAST 3 OF THE LCARES MEMBERS.

Ricketts Glen Walk About...
    - I love that term "Walk About" because it reminds me of my 2 weeks spent in Australia. A really wonderful country with great people. I hope it has not changed.

On Saturday the LCARES Crew took their Walk About of Ricketts Glen State Park. Great day for it. Our Attendees were:

[​IMG]

AB3ZI, KC3JXL, N3RN (newly returned from FL), KC3FKW, KC3IMJ, KB3VS, and KC3HLT

We had a good time, got our locations setup, and make assignments.

As with all grandiose plans there are some adjustments to be made. So what happened is that we'll be doing much of the Comm Ex under simulation. Well, all of the Comm Ex under simulation. It is the nature of the beast. I'll write the simulated messages and have them ready to go.

Dave, KC3IMJ, did come up with a goal that will make the exercise interesting. A "Resource Request" is something that comes from the field to the EOC. The EOC has to find the resource and make it available to the field. So we'll be putting together a custom resource form for the exercise.

There are 3 locations for the Exercise. The Lake Rose Over Flow parking area which will be the Incident Command Post. The Search Base will be at the Dirt Parking Area not too far from the Incident Command Post. And the Rescue Base which is no where near the Incident Command Post. The Incident Command Post has the requirement of sending the Resource Requests to the EOC.

Next, Saturday, April 7th, will be a dry run for the communications equipment. Our goal is to do it on 10 meters but we shall see how things go. In reality, we would have excellent communications between the EOC and Ricketts Glen (maybe better than the public safety communications) using "The Rock!" The recent changes need have made enormous improvements in the coverage.

But if it was easy anyone could do it. Right? This is an exercise and it will be an attempt to make it happen on 10 meters. And there is that pesky scenario stating that there was a major fire in the area and it has killed much of the communications infrastructure.

So stay tuned. We'll see how this plays out.

Spring Skywarn Training...
    [​IMG]
    - Well, I know it is hard to believe but Spring is just around the corner. As I am typing this on Monday night there are 35 days until Spring arrives. Spring really is here! As long as the ice goes away I'll be happy. Snow can stay but I really don't want to see any more ice. And I think my YF will agree with that.

The Luzerne County edition of Spring Skywarn Training will be held on April 17th. Just about 2 months away. I am getting this out in front of folks and will keep it out in front them because I want a good turn out from our Luzerne County Ham Community. It is required for LCARES members to attend one every 2 years but I think that it would not hurt any of us to get to the training as a Refresher.

Personally I would rather report some summer weather than more ice and snow. Sure would be nice.

There are other courses being held through out District 3 so anyone not in Luzerne County reading this get to a Skywarn in your county. Skywarn is a "Meat & Potatoes" service that Amateur Radio operators can perform. We are very lucky in this area since we have a Weather Office that supports our efforts. The least we can do is support them.

Here is the list of Skywarn Classes and the links to register for them. All classes are from 6:30PM to 8:30PM.

April 17th
    Luzerne County EMA
    185 Water Street
    Wilkes-Barre, PA 18702
    Luzerne County Registration
    Be sure to register because the presenter needs to know how much support materials to bring.

And more classes for Lackawanna County, Wyoming County, and Susquehanna County will be coming.

EPA-ARRL Web site...
    - If you have not done it yet then what are you waiting for? Get to the EPA-ARRL web site and either submit your email address or like it on Facebook. It is the place to get the information and news about the EPA Section.

Ham Radio Links
    N3LLR's Ham Radio Forum
    ARRL Eastern PA Section Web Site
    Luzerne County ARES®
    Harris County Texas ARES® - A great training resource
    Lake County (OH) RACES Personal Go-Kit for Emergency Operations - KE7LHR
    MecklenBurg County ARES® and RACES
    K0BG - The Website for Mobile Amateur Radio Operators (Perhaps the best web site on mobile operations I have found!)
    Origins of Ham Speak - Fact, Legends, and Myths??? - Compiled by AC6V from the Internet and other unreliable sources
    The Petite Prepper
    The VOA Radiogram
    Luzerne County ARES Facebook Page <-- New
    Closing
    Thank you for copying our weekly digital information Bulletin to all Amateur Radio Operators.

Send reception reports and comments to ec@w3luz.org.

Have a good week everyone!

W.T.
    WN3LIF
    ARRL EPA Section Emergency Coordinator
    ARRL EPA District 3 District Emergency Coordinator
    ARRL ARES® Emergency Coordinator
    Luzerne County ARES®
    email: ec@w3luz.org
    3:16
    ARES and "Amateur Radio Emergency Services" are registered service marks owned by the American Radio Relay League, The National Association of Amateur Radio. Use of these service marks is by permission only. Total prep time for this bulletin - 5 hours.