ARRL ARES Communicator's Comments - 2017-12-24

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Emergency Communications' started by W.T. Jones, Dec 24, 2017.

1. W.T. Jones

W.T. Jones Moderator Staff Member Silver Member Golden GPS Recipient AtlDiv EPA Leader AtlDiv ARES Member

Merry Christmas to all who read this!

As part of the "after bulletin" test the Poem "A Visit from St. Nick" by Clement Clark Moore was sent using Fldigi and Flmsg.

I have to wonder what Mr. Moore would say if he saw his famous poem being sent to others via such a means.

[​IMG]
    Luzerne County ARES® Digital Bulletin
    "We don't rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training."
    Archilochus - Greek Poet and Soldier
    • Current WX at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton International Airport
    • Hazardous Weather Statements from National Weather Service at Binghamton, NY
    • Current Versions of Fldigi programs
    • Luzerne County ARES® Announcements
    • Luzerne County ARES®Net Control Schedule
    • Luzerne County LCARES Announcements...
    • Click Here for the Luzerne County ARES®Activities Schedule
    • Click Here for Net Schedules of Interest - updated on 10/2/2017
    • LCARES Members Operational Status - Net Stats - Bulletin Responses...
    • Weekly Images
    • An ARRL ARES®Communicator's Comments
      • Christmas Eve 2017...
      • fl_install_script updates...
      • The Yule Log TV show of old...
      • ARRL Board of Directors Shenanigans...
      • That is enough...
    • EPA-ARRL Web site...
    • Ham Radio Links
    • Closing
    Bulletin Date: December 24, 2017
    Bulletin Number: 178

This Bulletin is for all Amateur Radio Operators in Luzerne County and any interested Amateur Radio Station anywhere.

Note: A copy of this Bulletin is stored on the www.w3luz.org web site in .wav file format. This file can be replayed by Fldigi and Flamp to get the complete Bulletin.

Current WX at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton International Airport
    (This information is only valid on the date of the Bulletin transmission. If you are reading this after the date of the bulletin ignore any advisories, warnings or watches.)
    Not Included tonight - It is going to be a White Christmas here!
    Hazardous Weather Statements from National Weather Service at Binghamton, NY
    (This information is only valid on the date of the Bulletin transmission. If you are reading this after the date of the bulletin ignore any advisories, warnings or watches.)
    Check your local National Weather Service web site for any hazardous weather affecting your area.

{Above Generated By Fldigi <WX> Macro Command with a little help from the Binghamton NWS web site!}
    Current Versions of Fldigi programs
    Current Versions of Fldigi Suite
    Fldigi Flmsg Flamp
    4.0.12 4.0.3 2.2.03

Current as of: December 24, 2017. *Indicates an update in the past week.

Latest versions available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/fldigi/files/
    Luzerne County ARES® Announcements
    - Important: The Sunday Night Bulletin is required reading for all LCARES Members.

Luzerne County ARES®Net Control Schedule
    The Rotation Schedule for the LCARES Voice net has been posted on the www.w3luz.org. Last update: November 29, 2017

K3NDB & WB3FKP are temporarily out of the NCS rotation. Please be sure to review the NCS schedule before the upcoming nets.

Luzerne County LCARES Announcements...
    (These will be read by the Alternate NCS during the regular weekly session of the LCARES Voice Net.)

* - indicates that announcement should not be read on the LCARES Net.

1. *The TM@EOC will be at the Lakeside Skillet on December 26th at 10:00AM.
    2. The EC is looking for a volunteer to send the Sunday Night Bulletin on December 31st. The sender should have a working Flamp setup. The sending will only entail reading the announcement at 8:45PM and then sending the Bulletin file using Flamp at 9:00PM. The post-bulletin Flmsg test will not be sent on December 31st. If you are interested contact the EC.
    Click Here for the Luzerne County ARES®Activities Schedule
    Click Here for Net Schedules of Interest - updated on 10/2/2017
    LCARES Members Operational Status - Net Stats - Bulletin Responses...

Sunday Night Bulletin for December 17, 2017 Responses
    First Response
    Rick, KC3FKW
    2113hrs
    Second Response
    Bob, N3PQP
    2115hrs
    Third Response
    Ian, K3IK
    December 18
    0010hrs
    Total Bulletin Responses for Last Week - 5
    Weekly Images
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

An ARRL ARES®Communicator's Comments
    Christmas Eve 2017...
    - The promise was that this one will be short and it will be.

fl_install_script updates...
    - KB3ACO handed me his computer at the last TM@EOC and asked that I install Ubuntu Linux for him. It is a joy to install Linux on a system that is not crawling. Since it was a brand new, blow away what was on the disk, install that made it even easier. So much so I got to do some testing on the fl_install_script. The news was I found some things that did not work as needed for new installs. Those things have been fixed. It will now install the Fldigi programs on a system that has not had any installs done. I'll upgrade the scripts on the go-kit computers sometime during the week.

The Yule Log TV show of old...
    - Some of you may remember when one of the TV stations used to show a Yule Log cracking on the grate and play Christmas music all Christmas Day long. Here is Survival Tech Nord's version of that old standby.

OH8STN Yule Log complete with CW!

Its cute but I don't think I could stand it for all that long.

ARRL Board of Directors Shenanigans...
    - I sent an email out on Friday about the ARRL Board of Directors Motions proposed by the Hudson Division Director. If you are an ARRL member then I urge you to get that email, read it, and then send a note to our Atlantic Division Director indicating how you would want him to vote. Yes, it is that important to the ARRL and Amateur Radio in General.

That is enough...
    - The important stuff has been touched on and a bit of whimsy as well. It is Christmas Eve after all. If our friends at the NWS are on the mark it will be a white Christmas and the upcoming week will be will be as chilly as KB3KUJ could want it.

This Bulletin is my vehicle to wish all of you who have faithfully followed the Bulletin all year long. A belated Happy Hanukkah to K3IK and K2OZO. A very Blessed and Merry Christmas to all the other LCARES members. In both cases, your friendship and support through the year have been a Christmas Present that this EC is grateful to receive all year long. And I could not ask for a better present than that.

I am home this Christmas Eve which has become a habit since I retired. I remember a lot of them that I was not home but wishing I was. I hope and pray that I'll never be absent from home at Christmas time again. Jan and I have finished our celebrating and when this bulletin is sent I will head to the house, play with Taffi, and then Jan and I will settle our brains for a long winter's nap. All is well with the Jones World and home is the best place to be tonight.

Merry Christmas!

And home really is the best place to be at Christmas time.

My heartfelt thanks to all of you and to all of you a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Seasons Greetings, and the all the best that I can wish for you.

EPA-ARRL Web site...
    - If you have not done it yet then what are you waiting for? Get to the EPA-ARRL web site and either submit your email address or like it on Facebook. It is the place to get the information and news about the EPA Section.

Ham Radio Links
    N3LLR's Ham Radio Forum
    ARRL Eastern PA Section Web Site
    Luzerne County ARES®
    Harris County Texas ARES® - A great training resource
    Lake County (OH) RACES Personal Go-Kit for Emergency Operations - KE7LHR
    MecklenBurg County ARES® and RACES
    K0BG - The Website for Mobile Amateur Radio Operators (Perhaps the best web site on mobile operations I have found!)
    Origins of Ham Speak - Fact, Legends, and Myths??? - Compiled by AC6V from the Internet and other unreliable sources
    The Petite Prepper
    The VOA Radiogram
    Luzerne County ARES Facebook Page <-- New
    Closing
    Thank you for copying our weekly digital information Bulletin to all Amateur Radio Operators.

Send reception reports and comments to ec@w3luz.org.

Have a good week everyone!

W.T.
    WN3LIF
    ARRL EPA Section Emergency Coordinator
    ARRL EPA District 3 District Emergency Coordinator
    ARRL ARES® Emergency Coordinator
    Luzerne County ARES®
    email: ec@w3luz.org
    3:16
    ARES and "Amateur Radio Emergency Services" are registered service marks owned by the American Radio Relay League, The National Association of Amateur Radio. Use of these service marks is by permission only.

2. wedgar

wedgar Administrator Staff Member Gold Member

Love the older pictures in the above newsletter.

Best wishes to all for a very Merry Christmas!

3. W.T. Jones

W.T. Jones Moderator Staff Member Silver Member Golden GPS Recipient AtlDiv EPA Leader AtlDiv ARES Member

It was fun finding them and some of them were suggested by some of the paNBEMS net members. It was a fun bulletin to assemble. A Sunday bulletin is usually 4 or 5 hours of typing but this one went together on Friday night in about an hour.

This image was added for the over the air and the download version at the last moment...

2017-12-24_Santa_At_1611L.png

It came from the NORAD tracks Santa web site.

I did not think I would get much of a response for a Christmas Eve Bulletin but even though it went out only on VHF via repeater 21 responses came in to the Challenge. Only down by 9 or so.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas Day. I did and I had better stop typing and go to bed because this screen is really blurry.

wedgar likes this.
  4. wedgar

wedgar Administrator Staff Member Gold Member

Hope you and your family had a wonderful Christmas! We had quiet Christmas with loads of good food.