ARRL ARES Communicator's Comments - 2017-11-05

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Emergency Communications' started by W.T. Jones, Nov 5, 2017.

1. W.T. Jones

W.T. Jones Moderator Staff Member Silver Member Golden GPS Recipient

Weekly Image
    [​IMG]

An ARRL ARES®Communicator's Comments
    ICS-217A being updated...
    - The current ICS-217A is being updated with more information and now includes several new repeaters. Those that are new have permisson granted or are waiting to hear back from the owners. If permission is granted they will stay on the list. Here is the link to the new ICS-217A:

http://www.w3luz.org/Resources/Luzerne County ARES ICS-217A 2017-11-02.html

Please review it and you notice any mistakes let me know at ec@w3luz.org.

Repeater Count...
    I received my Monthly Newsletter from the Repeater Database tonight. I was just startled by the number of repeaters some states have registered. Here is the top 5 states.

State Repeaters Ham Population Repeaters per Ham
    California 1,766 105,159 59
    Texas 1,363 52,370 38
    Florida 999 41,689 41
    New York 991 27,498 27
    Pennsylvania 660 23,828 36
    So for every 36 of us in Pennsylvania there is 1 repeater. I guess that is why you can't find some one to talk to on the repeater. They have too many choices.

Veterans Day, Armistice Day, Remembrance Day...
    The 11th Hour of the 11th Day of the 11th Month was the moment when the Armistice went into effect at the end of World War I.

The attributive, Veterans Day, does not have an apostrophe in it. Did you know that? The media tends to use Veteran's Day and Veterans' Day because both are grammatically correct. Wrong at once but correct at the same time.

Armistice Day is still celebrated even though the holiday named Veterans Day somewhat overshadows it. They just happen to fall on exactly the same day. Remembrance Day, celebrated on the same day, is a Commonwealth of Nations version of Veterans Day. It is also known as "Poppy Day" which is why we see the red poppy flowers sold by Veterans Organizations. It is a sign of remembering Veterans.

The poppy flower has a blood red petal and blooms in Flanders Field. Flanders Field is the great World War I cemetery. Lt. Col. John McCrae, a soldier, physician, and a poet penned these lines...

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
    We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie
    In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
    To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
    We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
    In Flanders fields.

It never fails to touch me deeply when I read it. There are so many cemeteries that hold so many Veterans and each one has a certain poignancy that cannot be escaped by even the casual tourist.

I do chuckle at times because on that other holiday, Memorial Day, many like to thank a Veteran for his/her service. It is a nice touch and well appreciated by Veterans so don't stop doing it. But November 11th is the day to reach out and thank a Veteran. One that is still warm to the touch, still able to see the sunset glow, and let them know that you truly appreciate their service. On Memorial Day I am very glad I am not the one being remembered.

A Veteran is a person who at one time in their life gave up their freedom of choice to live under a code of conduct that required obedience to lawful orders, continuous training, separation from their families, and at times extreme privation from even the basic necessities of life. No matter if that person was a store keeper, a deck hand, a motor mechanic, a truck driver, or a front line soldier they gave up a part of their life to serve the country. And even those who may not have shouldered a rifle and went to bad breath distance with the enemy still put themselves in the situation of potentially having to give their life. The definition of a Veteran can be bandied about by many of the legal entities that provide benefits to the Veterans but the one on the Operation Oklahoma web site says rather well...

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to The United States of America for an amount of "up to and including my life".

Thank You Veterans for your Service!

Survival Tech Nord - OH8STN...
    - My, and many others, favorite radio survival (with a practical bent) expert has a long line of YouTube videos. I am going to start listing some of them that make some sense for us. You can always go to Julian's web site, http://oh8stn.org/, for much of the good stuff that is outside the scope of ARES®.

This particular one is "Getting Started in Amateur Radio Field Communications". It is a grand total of 11 minutes. Even N3SRO can spare that between visits to see the baby. The info on Hardened Power Systems is pretty good. And I really like the photos on the video.

BTW, OH8STN does not spare any one in his comments. He lays it out according to the results of his tests and experiences. If he does not think that the product makes the grade according to its marketing hype he says so. I like that.

In case you want to visit his web site to peruse his blog here it is: http://oh8stn.org/

BTW, OH8STN's motto is "Maximum Capabilities with Minimal Gear!"

Just a tidbit here - OH8STN has a video on Winlink that you might want to view.

ARRL Frequency Charts Available...
    ARRL has revised and updated its “US Amateur Radio Bands” charts, and these now are available for download.These are PDF documents, available in color or grayscale presentations.

100% Operational Rename...
    1 vote was received. 1 and only 1 vote was received. "ARES Single Resource" was voted for by 1 person. 3 people contributed suggestions. That is 4 out of 32. Might be time for a change.

The 100% Operational title is now changed to "ARES Single Resource Team" status.

EPA-ARRL Web site...
    - If you have not done it yet then what are you waiting for? Get to the EPA-ARRL web site and either submit your email address or like it on Facebook. It is the place to get the information and news about the EPA Section.

Ham Radio Links
    ARRL Eastern PA Section Web Site
    Luzerne County ARES®
    Harris County Texas ARES® - A great training resource
    Lake County (OH) RACES Personal Go-Kit for Emergency Operations - KE7LHR
    MecklenBurg County ARES® and RACES
    K0BG - The Website for Mobile Amateur Radio Operators (Perhaps the best web site on mobile operations I have found!)
    Origins of Ham Speak - Fact, Legends, and Myths??? - Compiled by AC6V from the Internet and other unreliable sources
    The Petite Prepper
    The VOA Radiogram
    Closing
    Thank you for copying our weekly digital information Bulletin to all Amateur Radio Operators.

Send reception reports and comments to ec@w3luz.org.

Have a good week everyone!

W.T.
    WN3LIF
    ARRL EPA Section Emergency Coordinator
    ARRL EPA District 3 District Emergency Coordinator
    ARRL ARES® Emergency Coordinator
    Luzerne County ARES®
    email: ec@w3luz.org
    3:16
    ARES and "Amateur Radio Emergency Services" are registered service marks owned by the American Radio Relay League, The National Association of Amateur Radio. Use of these service marks is by permission only.