ARRL ARES Communicator's Comments - 2017-06-18

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Emergency Communications' started by W.T. Jones, Jun 18, 2017 at 9:26 PM.

1. W.T. Jones

W.T. Jones You can't make me come in Staff Member Silver Member Golden GPS Recipient

An ARRL ARES Communicator's Comments
    The American Legion Amateur Radio Club by Rich, KC3FKW...
    [​IMG]
    - A couple of months ago I was looking at the American Legion website and found a section which should be of interest to all Amateur Radio operators who are veterans and members of the American Legion.

I have been a member of the Dallas Legion Post for nearly 30 years now, but have never been aware of the National Security Commission’s decades long encouragement of posts to form amateur radio groups in support of civil defense (what we now call emergency management). I guess the focus of most posts has been to provide financial support of local charities and organizations, but disaster preparedness for both the Post and local communities should definitely be a consideration.

These emergency management responsibilities have recently come back into the foreground due to the adoption at the 2010 National Convention Resolution No. 134, “The American Legion Role in Homeland Security.” This resolution urges posts to assist in Homeland Security efforts by supporting communities during civil or natural disasters.

In May 2011, the American Legion established The American Legion Amateur Radio Club (TALARC). Membership is open to all members in good standing of The American Legion, Legion Auxiliary, Sons of the American Legion, and Legion Riders who hold a valid amateur radio license. And there is no fee to join the TALARC. Members receive a membership card and a Certificate of Membership suitable for framing. Members are encouraged to form local groups and even starting a formal post radio group if enough hams are already members. Assistance is available in any endeavor.

There are a number of established nets (both directed and informal) on the 20, 40 and 80 meter bands. Throughout the year a number of special events are scheduled.

Additional information can be obtained from: The American Legion Amateur Radio Club, 700 N. Pennsylvania St, Indianapolis, IN 46204. Phone (317) 630-1253. Email k9tal@legion.org. Website www.legion.org/hamradio.

Richard W. Tyira
    KC3FKW

(WN3LIF Note: This is Rich's first contribution to the Sunday Night Digital Bulletin and it was a good one. Just a note on TALARC. They sponsor many activities including a D-Star, Fusion, and other digital nets. I spoke with the TALARC D-Star Net Coordinator at the Middletown, NY, Hamfest recently. The TALARC supports the American Ideals via Amateur Radio in the same sense that the Rules and Regulations (Part 97) say we should do. Thank you Rich for a great article.)

Fathers Day...
    [​IMG]
    - There has been a Fathers Day celebrated since the Middle Ages. Originally it was celebrated to commemorate the influence of Fathers in the Catholic Church and it was done in March. It is not a uniquely US tradition and it is celebrated through out the world and, again, it is usually in March. I think the makers of barbecue grills had some influence on the United States practice of celebrating in June. (LCARES Challenge - email for almost how long KC3FKW has been a member of the American Legion in Dallas to ec@w3luz.org)

There were many Fathers Days when my Father just could not be home and likewise there were many Fathers Days when this son could not be home. At the time it was usually a phone call or a late night hug that was our celebration. Certainly not what the man who molded me and gave me what smarts I do have deserved. There are many times that I regret those near misses but time, distance, and obedience to powers greater than us prevented it.

If your Father is still with you then be sure that you let him know that he is still loved by you. Be with him if you can or at least call him if you can't. And no matter what when ever you are with him make sure he knows that you care about him. All too quickly there will come a time when the obedience to the highest authority will forever put an end to any chance of telling him in person that you love him or giving him a hug so he knows that he is still important to you. Take advantage of the time you have with him. Don't have those times when you wake up and wish he was still here so you could say "Dad I Love You!"

Happy Fathers Day Dad! I miss you!

The 2017 Wilkes-Barre Duathlon is in the books...
    [​IMG]
    - The picture to the left here is of my friend, Rob L, and was one of the great people that used to inhabit the Wilkes-Barre Hewlett-Packard Office in the basement of the Frank Building across from the Woodlands. I've know Rob since 1987 when both of us started our careers at HP. Lots of good times back then. But as you can tell Rob has got the gray hair just like I do. He was also the one that kept yelling "Walt for President" as he went by all of the Hams along the course. It was special to see him today and it was without a doubt a treat for me since we talk by email a lot but never seem to get to an eyeball contact enough.

BTW, Rob is looking at the race time and realized that if he steps on it he can beat his time from last year! He did. By .9 seconds.

The feedback reports have come in and except for the Parrish Street intersection things seemed to go well. Some times it took a while for the traffic control to arrive but they finally did show up.

Public Square was its usual busy place but the fun part was the addition of traffic barricades which made it interesting to find a parking spot. If you had to leave like I did and then come back it was a bit complicated. It worked out.

I was serving two masters since Rob G. asked if I would take pictures for him. I did. 727 of them. I didn't get everyone but I think I got most of them. It is hard to do two jobs at once and with K3TOW's help it would have been impossible.

Pictures from the 2017 WB Duathlon

There were times when it would have been helpful to have one more operator on Public Square. One where Market St entered into the Square and one at the South Main Street intersection of the Square. And, of course, one with Susan, the announcer, who wanted to know where everyone was at. At the end it was the Second Wind Timing crew that wanted the information. They only know that there are people out there but they have no idea where. The fellow I talked to told me that the Hams were "priceless" when it comes to knowing what is going on out on the route.

So all went well for the 14th running of the WB Duathlon. Just like it has for the past 13 previous ones when N3RN ran the show. The Duathlon made money for the YMCA/YWCA Swimming Teams and brought some attention to the good things that the "Y" does for the community. Rob G is already making plans for next year and he wanted all of you to know that it would not be as safe and as successful without the Hams helping out.

Next in the Public Service Funnel...
    [​IMG]
    - Right now Rob and the Hazleton Y are planning for the Mauch Chunk Triathlon in July. As much as I would like to help him I don't think it will be possible. The MC Triathlon is in Carbon County and while I don't mind dragging myself down there I really don't think it would be good for the rest of you. I have not gotten much in the way of a response from the Carbon County ARC. Heck, I am not even sure what repeater would be the repeater of choice for that location.

But that doesn't mean we are done. Come September 18th and 19th there is the Beware The Barracuda Duathlon at Eagle Rock Resort near Hazleton. We had a great time working that one last year but we do need some more operators to cover all the bases. Rob G. tends to underestimate the coverage all the time. So put that on your calendars. It should be a good time.

EPA-ARRL Web site...
    - If you have not done it yet then what are you waiting for? Get to the EPA-ARRL web site and either submit your email address or like it on Facebook. It is the place to get the information and news about the EPA Section.

Ham Radio Links
    N3LLR's Ham Radio Forum
    ARRL Eastern PA Section Web Site
    Luzerne County ARES©
    Harris County Texas ARES - A great training resource
    Lake County (OH) RACES Personal Go-Kit for Emergency Operations - KE7LHR
    MecklenBurg County ARES and RACES
    K0BG - The Website for Mobile Amateur Radio Operators (Perhaps the best web site on mobile operations I have found!)
    Origins of Ham Speak - Fact, Legends, and Myths??? - Compiled by AC6V from the Internet and other unreliable sources
    The Petite Prepper
    The VOA Radiogram
    Closing
    Thank you for copying our weekly digital information Bulletin to all Amateur Radio Operators.

Send reception reports and comments to ec@w3luz.org.

Have a good week everyone!

W.T.
    WN3LIF
    ARRL EPA Section Emergency Coordinator
    ARRL EPA District 3 District Emergency Coordinator
    ARRL ARES Emergency Coordinator
    Luzerne County ARES
    email: ec@w3luz.org
    3:16
    ARES and "Amateur Radio Emergency Services" are trademarks owned by the American Radio Relay League, The National Organization of Amateur Radio. Use of these trademarks is by permission only.