ARRL ARES Communicator's Comments - 2017-04-09

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Emergency Communications' started by W.T. Jones, Apr 16, 2017.

1. W.T. Jones

W.T. Jones Moderator Staff Member Silver Member Golden GPS Recipient

Weekly Image
    [​IMG]
    An ARRL ARES Communicator's Comments
    The LCEMA Commex...
    - The upcoming LCEMA Comm-ex promises to be an interesting exercise for us. It is ambitious but it is something that will do some technical good for us. Dave, N3SRO, has done his planning and I hope to have spoken with him on the phone by the time you read this but he is fired up about this. There will be a job for all of us so be sure to let him know that you are going to participate. His email is n3sro@arrl.net.

Speaking of our Nets...
    - The April 11th Net will be our "Tactical Call Net". Stations will check in normally but add their tactical call in their check-in.

For example:

"This is WN3LIF DURYEA no traffic over"

The town/municipality/location will be your tactical call for the duration of the net. Most of you have already sent me what you will use as your tactical call so just remember it for the net.

The station in charge of the net will use the tactical call of NCS which should make it easy for both the NCS and the other station. Since I will be the NCS for Tuesday I'll be the one to go slightly crazy which is just a little more than I usually am.

Remember that end the end of the exchange to identify with your FCC assigned call. Don't worry. If you don't then you will hear the dreaded words "A training moment" uttered by the NCS. This should be fun.

Anvil Clouds from N3SRO...
    - N3SRO's comments: Here are a few smaller cells on the outskirts of the system from today. On the right hand side is a dissipating cell collapsing on itself and on the left hand side is a cell that is still pretty strong and you can see clearly where it plateaued and "anvilled",

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Click on images for a larger view!

Instructions for operating Fldigi for our upcoming special meetings...

I have completed the preliminary instructions for installing and configuring the Fldigi Suite of programs for our non-digital LCARES members. I would appreciate everyone reading the instructions and making any comments on them. They can be found here:

http://w3luz.org/Resources/Sunday_Bulletin_File_Download_instructions.pdf

(LCARES Challenge - email the type of event that is being held on May 28th to ec@w3luz.org)

EPA-ARRL Web site...
    - If you have not done it yet then what are you waiting for? Get to the EPA-ARRL web site and either submit your email address or like it on Facebook. It is the place to get the information and news about the EPA Section.

Ham Radio Links
    N3LLR's Ham Radio Forum
    ARRL Eastern PA Section Web Site
    Luzerne County ARESĀ©
    Harris County Texas ARES - A great training resource
    Lake County (OH) RACES Personal Go-Kit for Emergency Operations - KE7LHR
    MecklenBurg County ARES and RACES
    K0BG - The Website for Mobile Amateur Radio Operators (Perhaps the best web site on mobile operations I have found!)
    Origins of Ham Speak - Fact, Legends, and Myths??? - Compiled by AC6V from the Internet and other unreliable sources
    The Petite Prepper
    The VOA Radiogram
    Closing
    Thank you for copying our weekly digital information Bulletin to all Amateur Radio Operators.

Send reception reports and comments to ec@w3luz.org.

Have a good week everyone!

W.T.
    WN3LIF
    ARRL EPA Section Emergency Coordinator
    ARRL EPA District 3 District Emergency Coordinator
    ARRL ARES Emergency Coordinator
    Luzerne County ARES
    email: ec@w3luz.org
    3:16
    ARES and "Amateur Radio Emergency Services" are trademarks owned by the American Radio Relay League, The National Organization of Amateur Radio. Use of these trademarks is by permission only.