APRS - Send the EPA SEC a message

Discussion in 'Digital Modes' started by W.T. Jones, Oct 18, 2015.

1. W.T. Jones

W.T. Jones Moderator Staff Member Silver Member Golden GPS Recipient

I have an APRS station running all the time. As you know I live in the great Northeast portion of PA. I was kind of surprised to notice that I was receiving packets from other APRS stations in the Southeast corner of PA directly. Well, directly via digipeaters anyway. Not through the I-Gates. Interesting as Arty Johnson from the Old Laugh-In TV show used to say. Well, I'd like to try an experiment. Send WN3LIF-1 an APRS text message when you have a moment. Nothing fancy. Just a "Hi. I got your request." will do. I am going to keep tabs on it over the next month or so just to see how well it works. I'll list who makes it direct and who makes it via I-Gate. What the heck. It will give me something to do over the next month and keep me off the streets.

wedgar likes this.
  2. Jeremy

Jeremy Active Member

I sent you something. Did you get it? Not too hard from here to there however.

Jeremy

wedgar likes this.
  3. W.T. Jones

Yep, it came in. No problem! Had about 7 messages so far. One from Lancaster and one from Perry County. Interesting.

4. Jeremy

Jeremy Active Member

It was fun pinging you on HF Robust Packet as well from the Gulf of Mexico.

wedgar and W.T. Jones like this.
  5. W.T. Jones

It always fun when you realize the path that the aprs text is taking to get from Duryea to you!

Almost like a grand tour of the Moscow Subway System.

6. wedgar

wedgar Administrator Staff Member Gold Member

Ha! Like the illustration of the Moscow subway system...

Did you get many messages?

W.T. Jones likes this.
  7. W.T. Jones

The total was not as good as I expected. Only 29. Better than nothing!

I really did get a tour of the Moscow Subway System while on my way for a tour of Petrovka 38 of the Main Bureau of Internal Affairs of Moscow.

8. wedgar

Absolutely better than nothing.

The tour of the Moscow Subway would have been very interesting. Can you imagine that happening in the 50's or 60's? I can remember hiding under desks in elementary school...

W.T. Jones likes this.
  9. W.T. Jones

The Moscow Subway is more like an Art Museum than a Subway Station. There are carved figures all through it. All of them are in a sort of stooped stance. My guide told me that this the artist's way of saying that the people were under the repression of Joe Stalin. It was a fantastic tour and nothing held back except for one flight of stairs which I was told no one is allowed to go down except government officials. Use your own imagination about that.

wedgar likes this.
  10. wedgar

Fascinating on the stooped stance. I won't have guessed that one.

That would have been a fun tour to go on.

Probably people with big guns on the other side of the government doors...

11. W.T. Jones

I wouldn't be surprised. Before I went on the tour and before I was in Moscow I met a former Spetznaz soldier who was a member of an executive protection detail. He mentioned that under the city was a very large network of tunnels that connected everything government-wise. A lot was decommissioned post cold war but he said a tour of that would have been a week's worth of walking.

wedgar likes this.
  12. wedgar

The underground passage ways would also be an excellent way to move about during the brutally cold Russian winter.

W.T. Jones likes this.
  13. W.T. Jones

Never thought about that!