Amateur License Classes

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Licensing' started by wedgar, Dec 10, 2014.

1. wedgar

wedgar Administrator Staff Member Gold Member

Does anyone have upcoming amateur license classes scheduled?

Did you have classes you put on this year?

How did they do?

2. W.T. Jones

W.T. Jones You can't make me come in Staff Member Silver Member Golden GPS Recipient

I don't but there is one coming up in Lycoming County.....

TRAINING OPPORTUNITY

HAM-In-A-Day: This course will provide instruction in the basic knowledge of becoming an amateur “HAM” radio operator at technician class level in a community.

***If you are offering a training and are looking to distribute the course information to a wider audience to increase your enrollment, please email: info@kema-pa.org with the course information and/or flier. KEMA will broadcast the training to our statewide network of EM professionals in an effort to help you boost your enrollee numbers.

***NOTE: KEMA does not register participants for courses, nor does KEMA have information about the specifics about each course. For additional information about a training, please refer to the point-of-contact on each training announcement. Thank you!

Ham in a Day Doc follows:

HAM IN A DAY
    (Amateur Radio Technician Class)

8.0 HOURS

(542 County Farm Road, Suite 101, Montoursville)

DATE/TIME: January 31, 2015 (08:00am – Test at 2:00pm)

REGISTRATION DEADLINE: January 16, 2015 (at 12:00)
    INSTRUCTOR: Lycoming County ACS Team Members
    COURSE COST: $15.00 for testing/Minimum of 10 students to hold the class
    PREREQUISITE: Must have 2 forms of government issued ID
    COURSE CODE: HIAD/DPS
    COURSE OUTLINE: This course will provide instruction in the basic knowledge of becoming an amateur “HAM” radio operator at technician class level in a community including recognizing various RF hazards material. ARRL Ham Radio License Manual 3rd Edition Required ISBN 978-1-62595-013-0 (can be purchased at ARRL or Amazon)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PRE-REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED

To register contact craig konkle at

ckonkle@lyco.org OR (570) 433-4461

LYCOMING COUNTY IS A EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
    If you have a disability and you need special accommodations in regards to this class or
    you need this announcement in a different format, please call our office.

DPS IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR COURSE COST OR MATERIALS.

Luzerne County is planning something similar in the near future.

wedgar likes this.
  3. wedgar

Excellent. I hope they have a good turn out.

W.T. Jones likes this.
  4. W.T. Jones

W.T. Jones You can't make me come in Staff Member Silver Member Golden GPS Recipient

They are doing a great job in Lycoming County. Need to generate a few more digital operators out there but you can beat them for quantity.

Even the SSES Evaluators commented on their efforts at the meeting this morning.

"If all the volunteers showed the enthusiasm that the Amateur Radio operators show we'd never have to worry about staffing any position during the exercises." PEMA Representative.

wedgar likes this.
  5. wedgar

Wow! What a cool endorsement!

W.T. Jones likes this.
  6. W.T. Jones

Just finished determining HOW I am going to do the "Ham In A Day" thingy. Looks like it will be early March but we'll pull it off. I am thinking about the Gordon West Material for the class.

7. wedgar

We use the King series DVD's for our ham in a day.

Best wishes on a wildly successful class!

W.T. Jones likes this.
  8. W.T. Jones

Got a link for those DVDs?

9. wedgar

Those DVDs are about 10 years old and are no longer available for sale by the ARRL. The King school also produced flight instruction DVDs whigh are also very good from what I've heard.

You may be able to get a set on Ebay.

W.T. Jones likes this.
  10. W.T. Jones

Too bad. Well, we'll just have to wing it in person.

wedgar likes this.
  11. wedgar

My money is on you...

W.T. Jones likes this.
  12. W.T. Jones

Your faith is appreciated. May I can put all that Decker Training to good use again. It was 1987 when I took it but it has hung with me.

http://decker.com/

wedgar likes this.
  13. wedgar

Nice site. We're you a student or an instructor?

W.T. Jones likes this.
  14. W.T. Jones

HP had Decker train all of their new hires back in 1987. It was similar at the time to the Carnegie courses. Different but similar. After I took the course and found that it really did help me with both with presentation and delivery I volunteered to be an instructor inside HP for the training. That was probably one of the smarter things I have done in my life. Up to that point my entire training was from a military background which did work but...

The Instructor Training was excellent. I learned more about polishing presentations and being more natural but the best part was taking a student and guiding them to improve their communications skills. And once I learned that I was able to help other HP employees "on the fly" with interactions with customers. That and telling the HP Employee, after the fact, that "you'd be a lot more convincing if you came to this meeting looking like a professional rather than a farmer just out of the field." Preparation and appearance was a big part of the training. If you're dealing with the Board look and act like you belong on the board. Same with rank and file. If you are dealing with the loading dock crew it is a different environment so learn to adjust.

BTW, that also helped with social engineering skills.

The only thing that I found Decker to be a bit shy on was developing listening skills. But then again I have never really found any training on that topic.

wedgar likes this.
  15. wedgar

Somehow, I figured they would get you involved in the instructor program. If they failed to do that, they would have wasted good resources.